Skip to Main Content
Northwest Forest Plan: outcomes and lessons learned from the Northwest economic adjustment initiative: Proceedings of a forum; 1997 July 29-30; Portland, OR.Author(s): Harriet H. Christensen; Terry L. Raettig; Paul Sommers; [tech. eds.].
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-484. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 103 p. In cooperation with: Northwest Policy Center, Institute for Public Policy and Management, University of Washington
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (729 KB)
DescriptionThis monograph is an examination of the experience in the Pacific Northwest implementing the Northwest Forest Plan, Economic Adjustment Initiative (NWEAI). First, a brief description of the NWEAI background and framework, and a socioeconomic overview of the region prior to the NWEAI provide the setting. Next, accounts of the NWEAI experience in each of the three states in the region; a chapter on the NWEAI impact on people and communities’ and a review of field level efforts to implement business, local government, and ecosystem management projects build a comprehensive picture of the NWEAI programs through the eyes of the managers and community development practitioners who conceived and implemented the site specific projects. A synthesis of NWEAI related research work begins the final section on what had been learned from the NWEAI experience and questions still remaining. This monograph ends with an overview of key community and economic development issues in the region that have been addressed by the NWEAI and the potential of the innovative NWEAI model as a guide for other resource related economic development and mitigation efforts.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChristensen, Harriet H.; Raettig, Terry L.; Sommers, Paul.; [tech. eds.]. 1999. Northwest Forest Plan: outcomes and lessons learned from the Northwest economic adjustment initiative: Proceedings of a forum; 1997 July 29-30; Portland, OR. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-484. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 103 p. In cooperation with: Northwest Policy Center, Institute for Public Policy and Management, University of Washington
KeywordsNorthwest Forest Plan, Northwest Economic Adjustment Initiative, Pacific Northwest, community development, economic development
- A research framework for natural resource-based communities in the Pacific Northwest.
- Soil Disturbance Monitoring in the USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Region
- Economic impacts of interregional competition in the forest products industry during the 1970's: the South and the Pacific Northwest.
XML: View XML