Skip to Main Content
Western juniper drying project summaries, 1993-96.Author(s): Scott Leavengood; Larry Swan
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-475. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 8 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (58 KB)
DescriptionDrying tests and trials for western juniper (Juniperus occidentalis Hook.) were conducted between 1993 and 1996 to (1) test and refine existing dry kiln schedules; (2) develop moisture meter correction factors; (3) test dry western juniper in different types of kilns, both by itself and with ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa Dougl. ex Laws.); (4) explore alternative drying techniques to minimize splitting and warping caused by inherent growth stresses; and (5) test a "saw-dry-rip" program currently used in the hardwood industry to reduce splitting and cracking. Test results over a 3-year period revealed that checking and splitting in juniper can be reduced by (1) careful selection of logs to minimize large knots, spiral grain, and excessive taper; (2) careful treatment of logs after harvest, such as end-coating and sawing logs as soon as possible after felling; (3) minimizing material with large knots (over one-half inch) and pith; (4) drying thinner and shorter boards; (5) using moderate kiln schedules (lower initial temperatures, higher initial relative humidities, and longer times); and (6) finger jointing and emphasizing products that require shorter and thinner lumber than that commonly produced in the Pacific Northwest.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeavengood, Scott; Swan, Larry. 1999. Western juniper drying project summaries, 1993-96. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-475. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 8 p
KeywordsWestern juniper, drying, kiln drying, moisture loss
- Western juniper in eastern Oregon.
- Juniperus occidentalis
- Performance of finishes on western juniper lumber and particleboard during outdoor exposure
XML: View XML