Skip to Main Content
Occurrence of the amphibian pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in the Pacific Northwest.Author(s): C.A. Pearl; E.L. Bull; D.E. Green; J. Bowerman; M.J. Adams; A. Hyatt; W.H. Wente
Source: Journal of Herpetology. 41(1): 145-149
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (1.07 MB)
DescriptionChytridiomycosis (infection by the fungus Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis) is an emerging pathogen of amphibians that is associated with declines in at least four continents. We report results of disease screens from 271 field-sampled amphibians from Oregon and Washington. Chytridiomycosis was detected on 5 of 7 species and from 31 percent of all smaples, including sensitive species western toad (Bufo boreas), northern red-legged frog (Rana aurora), and Oregon spotted frog (R. pretiosa). We also detected chytridiomycosis in nonnative bullfrogs (R. catesbeiana) in western and central Oregon. Further research into the origin, virulence, transmissibility, and interactions with other stressors is needed to gauge its potential impact on northwestern amphibians.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPearl, C.A.; Bull, E.L.; Green, D.E.; Bowerman, J.; Adams, M.J.; Hyatt, A.; Wente, W.H. 2007. Occurrence of the amphibian pathogen Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis in the Pacific Northwest. Journal of Herpetology. 41(1): 145-149
KeywordsAmphibian, Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, bullfrog, chytridiomycosis, diseases, Oregon, pathogen
- Citizen scientists monitor a deadly fungus threatening amphibian communities in northern coastal California, USA
- Factors related to the distribution and prevalence of the fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium dentrobatidis in Rana cascadae and other amphibians in the Klamath Mountains
- Sub-alpine amphibian distributions related to species palatability to non-native salmonids in the Klamath mountains of northern California
XML: View XML