Skip to Main Content
NetWeaver for EMDS user guide (version 1.1): a knowledge base development system.Author(s): Keith M. Reynolds
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-471. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 75 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (329 KB)
DescriptionThe guide describes use of the NetWeaver knowledge base development system. Knowledge representation in NetWeaver is based on object-oriented fuzzy-logic networks that offer several significant advantages over the more traditional rulebased representation. Compared to rule-based knowledge bases, NetWeaver knowledge bases are easier to build, test, and maintain because the underlying object-based representation makes them modular. The modularity of NetWeaver knowledge bases, in turn, allows designers to gradually evolve complex knowledge bases from simpler ones in small, simple steps. Modularity also allows interactive knowledge base debugging at any and all stages of knowledge base development, which expedites the development process. Finally, fuzzy logic provides a formal and complete calculus for knowledge representation that is less arbitrary than the confidence factor approach used in rule-based systems and much more parsimonious than bivalent rules.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReynolds, Keith M. 1999. NetWeaver for EMDS user guide (version 1.1): a knowledge base development system. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-471. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 75 p
KeywordsNetWeaver, knowledge base, fuzzy logic, decision support
- EMDS users guide (version 2.0): knowledge-based decision support for ecological assessment.
- AppBuilder for DSSTools; an application development environment for developing decision support systems in Prolog
- Development and Evaluation of an Expert System for Diagnosing Pest Damage of Red Pine
XML: View XML