Skip to Main Content
Classification of community types, successional sequences, and landscapes of the Copper River Delta, Alaska.Author(s): Keith. Boggs
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-469. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 244 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (3.0 MB)
DescriptionA classification of community types, successional sequences, and landscapes is presented for the piedmont of the Copper River Delta. The classification was based on a sampling of 471 sites. A total of 75 community types, 42 successional sequences, and 6 landscapes are described. The classification of community types reflects the existing vegetation communities on the landscape. The distribution, vegetation composition and structure, soils, and successional status of each community are discussed. The community types were placed within successional sequences reflecting their successional trends. Geomorphic and soil development were closely aligned with vegetation succession on the study area and, consequently, are described in detail. Each successional sequence was named after the oldest community type identified in the sequence and the landscape on which it occurs. Diagnostic keys, based on indicator species, are provided to aid in field identification of community types and successional sequences. The dominant landscapes, including outwash plain, tidal marsh, and floodplain, are described by using environmental processes, such as geomorphology, hydrology, and soil development, and by integrating communities and successional sequences into these processes.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBoggs, Keith. 2000. Classification of community types, successional sequences, and landscapes of the Copper River Delta, Alaska. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-469. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 244 p
KeywordsAlaska, Copper River Delta, classification, community type, succession, landscape, outwash, floodplain, delta, dune, barrier island
- Appendix A: Ecoprovinces of the Central North American Cordillera and adjacent plains
- Community structure and abundance of benthic infaunal invertebrates in Maine fringing marsh ecosystems
- Phytosociology and succession on earthquake-uplifted coastal wetlands, Copper River Delta, Alaska.
XML: View XML