Skip to Main Content
Timber harvesting, processing, and employment in the Northwest Economic Adjustment Initiative region: changes and economic assistance.Author(s): Terry L. Raettig; Harriet H. Christensen
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-465. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 16 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (700 KB)
DescriptionThe Northwest economic adjustment initiative (NWEAI) provides economic assistance to a region including western Washington, western Oregon, and northern California. Timber harvests have fallen markedly in this region since 1990. The forest products industry is the largest manufacturing sector in the region, and employment has followed the downward trend in timber harvest. There are important differences in the declines in timber harvest, employment, and the importance of the forest products industry at the county level. The NWEAI is a significant initiative designed to coordinate and manage Federal economic assistance efforts in the region.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRaettig, Terry L.; Christensen, Harriet H. 1999. Timber harvesting, processing, and employment in the Northwest Economic Adjustment Initiative region: changes and economic assistance. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-465. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 16 p
KeywordsTimber harvest, employment, economic assistance, Northwest economic adjustment initiative
- Utilization of Oregon’s timber harvest and associated direct economic effects.
- Economic impacts of interregional competition in the forest products industry during the 1970's: the South and the Pacific Northwest.
- Trends in key economic and social indicators for Pacific Northwest states and counties.
XML: View XML