Skip to Main Content
Forest products research and development organizations : organization, governance, and measures of performance in a worldwide settingAuthor(s): Paul V. Ellefson; M.A. Kilgore; Kenneth E. Skog; Christopher D. Risbrudt
Source: Forest products journal. Vol. 5, no. 10 (Oct. 2007): Pages 6-13
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (453 KB)
DescriptionThe ability of forest products research and development organizations to contribute to a nation’s well-being requires that they be well organized, effectively managed, and held to high standards of performance. In order to obtain a better understanding of how such organizations are structured and administered, and how they judge organizational performance, a review of forest products and related research organizations beyond the boundaries of the United States was undertaken in 2004-2005. Ninety-three research organizations were initially identified for review, 40 of which were selected for in-depth examination (located in 23 countries) (Table 1). They were selected in order to: (a) provide a sampling of organizations operating in various countries worldwide, (b) enable review of publicly and privately sponsored organizations, and (c) permit access to a diversity of organizational structures and administrative procedures. The lead administrator of each organization was given an opportunity to review the draft narrative describing the organization. In addition, each lead administrator was asked to provide advice about structural, managerial, and performance conditions that are considered necessary if a forest products research and development organization is to accomplish its mission. Thirty administrators of the 40 organizations reviewed willingly provided commentaries.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationEllefson, Paul V.; Kilgore, M.A.; Skog, Kenneth E.; Risbrudt, Christopher D. 2007. Forest products research and development organizations : organization, governance, and measures of performance in a worldwide setting. Forest products journal. Vol. 5, no. 10 (Oct. 2007): Pages 6-13
KeywordsResearch projects, commercial products, testing, forest products, research, research institutes, directories, performance standards, review article, management, policies, programs, forest products laboratories, product testing
- Forest products research and development organizations in a worldwide setting : a review of structure, governance, and measures of performance
- Forest products research and development organizations in a worldwide setting: A review of structure, governance, and measures of performance of organizations outside the United States
- Assessing the impacts of international volunteer tourism in host communities: A new approach to organizing and prioritizing indicators
XML: View XML