Skip to Main Content
Phytophthora ramorum and P. kernoviae: regulation in the European unionAuthor(s): Stephen Hunter
Source: In: Frankel, Susan J.; Kliejunas, John T.; Palmieri, Katharine M., tech. coords. 2008. Proceedings of the sudden oak death third science symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-214. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. pp. 37-40
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (191 KB)
DescriptionThe history of the regulation of action against Phytophthora ramorum and P. kernoviae in the EU and U.K. is briefly summarised. For the former there are EU controls on the import of host plants, and the internal regime of plant passporting has been extended to cover Rhododendron, Viburnum and Camellia. There are also requirements relating to containment and eradication at infected nurseries. For P. kernoviae the U.K. has taken action through national legislation which includes the introduction of a management zone in the most heavily infected area of Cornwall. Some pilot work on the clearance of Rhododendron has also occurred. In the U.K. funding for the Phytophthora Programme will run out during 2007/08 and a scientific and policy review will take place in order to set the direction of long term policy for both pathogens. This will involve a public consultation later in 2007. Future policy actions are likely o be discussed in the EU Plant Health Standing Committee in 2008.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHunter, Stephen. 2008. Phytophthora ramorum and P. kernoviae: regulation in the European union. In: Frankel, Susan J.; Kliejunas, John T.; Palmieri, Katharine M., tech. coords. 2008. Proceedings of the sudden oak death third science symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-214. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. pp. 37-40
KeywordsPhytophthora ramorum, Phytophthora kernoviae, European Union, regulation
- Molecular identification and detection of Phytophthora ramorum
- An update on Phytophthora ramorum in European nurseries
- Natural outbreaks of Phytophthora ramorum in the U.K.—current status and monitoring update
XML: View XML