Skip to Main Content
Control of clavicipitaceous anamorphic endophytes with fungicides, aerated steam and supercritical fluid CO2-seed extractionAuthor(s): A. Dan Wilson; Donald G. Lester; Brian K. Luckenbill
Source: Plant Pathology Journal, Vol. 7(1): 65-74
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.87 MB)
DescriptionThe effects of soil drenches with systemic fungicides on viability of clavicipitaceous anamorphic endophytes, non-choke inducing endosymbiotic fungi of the genus Neotyphodium that systemically infect grasses, were tested in endophyte-infected seedlings of Hordeum brevisubulatum subsp. violaceum, Lolium perenne and Festuca arundinacea germplasm. None of the endophytes of these grasses were sensitive to benomyl at 3-5 ppt. The endophyte of H. brevisubulatum was sensitive only to propiconazole. The viability of the F. arundinacea endophyte (N. coenophialum) was reduced, but not completed eliminated by prochloraz, imazalil and propiconazole in the 2-3 ppt range. Aerated-steam seed treatments at 60 C for 5 min were effective in reducing viability of the perennial ryegrass endophyte (N. lolii) by 83%, although some reduction in seed germination and negative growth effects were observed. A novel disease-control method, supercritical fluid carbon dioxide extraction (SFE-Cod, for the elimination of Neotyphodium-endophytes in grass seeds is reported here for the first time. The endophyte N. lolii was completely controlled in seeds of L. perenne cv. Ellett by extracting the seeds at 400 atmospheres for 10 or 20 min. Only minor reductions in seed germination resulted from the SFE-CO2, seed-extraction treatment and no appreciable effects on growth of seedlings or mature plants were observed. Several potential applications of these disease-control technologies for seedborne fungal pathogens are discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWilson, A. Dan; Lester, Donald G.; Luckenbill, Brian K. 2008. Control of clavicipitaceous anamorphic endophytes with fungicides, aerated steam and supercritical fluid CO2-seed extraction. Plant Pathology Journal, Vol. 7(1): 65-74
Keywordsaerated steam, chemical control, clavicipitaecaea, seed extraction, wild barley
- Behavior Performance of Diuraphis noxia (Homoptera: Aphididae) on Fungal Endophyte-Infected and Uninfected Perennial Ryegrass
- Resistance of Endophyte-Infected Plants of Tall Fescue and Perennial Ryegrass to the Russian Wheat Aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae)
- Survey and Detection of Endophytic Fungi in Lolium Germ Plasm by Direct Staining and Aphid Assays
XML: View XML