Skip to Main Content
Forest Service National Forest System perceptions of law enforcement and investigations: nationwide studyAuthor(s): Deborah J. Chavez; Joanne F. Tynon
Source: Res. Pap. PSW-RP-256. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 38 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
View PDF (2.2 MB)
DescriptionThis is the fifth in a series of studies to evaluate perceptions of the roles, responsibilities, and issues entailed in the jobs of U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service law enforcement and investigations (LEI) personnel. An e-mail survey was administered to the 537 Forest Service forest supervisors and district rangers (National Forest System [NFS] line officers) across the United States. Two-hundred and seventy-six completed and returned the questionnaire. Interaction, collaboration, and teamwork were important to the NFS line officer respondents—they reported the need for frequent interactions and had general agreement on priorities with LEI. Budget was a major concern for the NFS line officer respondents as was the shortage of law enforcement officers and forest protection officers. Natural resource protection was seen as important and was thought to be a priority, along with budget and safety. A successful LEI program was characterized as one that is understood by those engaged in or affected by the program and that has sufficient personnel and good communication.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChavez, Deborah J.; Tynon, Joanne F. 2008. Forest Service National Forest System perceptions of law enforcement and investigations: nationwide study. Res. Pap. PSW-RP-256. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 38 p
KeywordsCrime and violence, law enforcement, forest visitors, successful management
- A synthesis of five nationwide studies: perceptions of law enforcement and investigations in the USDA Forest Service
- Forest Service patrol captain and patrol commanders report: nationwide study
- Forest Service special agents, assistant special agents in charge, senior special agents, and supervisory special agents report: nationwide study
XML: View XML