Skip to Main Content
Combining Simulation and Optimization Models for Hardwood Lumber ProductionAuthor(s): G.A. Mendoza; R.J. Meimban; W.G. Luppold; Philip A. Araman
Source: Proceedings, Pacific Rim Forestry -- Bridging the World. pp. 356-361.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (71 KB)
DescriptionPublished literature contains a number of optimization and simulation models dealing with the primary processing of hardwood and softwood logs. Simulation models have been developed primarily as descriptive models for characterizing the general operations and performance of a sawmill. Optimization models, on the other hand, were developed mainly as analytical tools for prescribing optimal production plans but with minimal concern on real-time day-to-day operations of a sawmill. This paper describes a combined simulation and optimization model that considers both the determination and the implementation of optimal production schedules. Emphasis centers of the performance and utilization of various machine centers, including production delays, buffer decks, queue capacities, operating time, and equipment and resource utilization.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMendoza, G.A.; Meimban, R.J.; Luppold, W.G.; Araman, Philip A. 1991. Combining Simulation and Optimization Models for Hardwood Lumber Production. Proceedings, Pacific Rim Forestry -- Bridging the World. pp. 356-361.
- An Integrated Management Support and Production Control System for Hardwood Forest Products
- Combined Log Inventory and Process Simulation Models for the Planning and Control of Sawmill Operations
- An integrated 3D log processing optimization system for small sawmills in central Appalachia
XML: View XML