Skip to Main Content
Watershed restoration, jobs-in-the woods, and community assistance: Redwood National Park and the Northwest Forest Plan.Author(s): Christopher E. DeForest
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-449. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 31 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (224 KB)
DescriptionThere are many parallels between the 1978 legislation to expand Redwood National Park and the Northwest Forest Plan, which together with the Northwest Economic Adjustment Initiative formed the 1993 Pacific Northwest Initiative. In both situations, the Federal Government sought to promote retraining for displaced workers, to undertake watershed assessment and restoration work, and to assist communities with economic planning, grants, and transitions. Both of these efforts point out the inherent conflicts between the economic and ecological objectives of watershed restoration. No one wants to have to choose between reducing sediment and reducing unemployment in coastal forests.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDeForest, Christopher E. 1999. Watershed restoration, jobs-in-the woods, and community assistance: Redwood National Park and the Northwest Forest Plan. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-449. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 31 p
KeywordsWatershed restoration, community assistance, Redwood National Park
- Status of natural resources in Redwood Creek basin, Redwood National Park
- Gross volume tables for redwood trees in and near the Redwood National Park
- Applications of Redwood Genotyping by Using Microsatellite Markers
XML: View XML