Skip to Main Content
Soil disturbances from horse/mule logging operations coupled with machines in the Southern United StatesAuthor(s): Suraj P. Shrestha; Bobby L. Lanford; Robert Rummer; Mark Dubois
Source: International Journal of Forest Engineering. 19(1): 17-23.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (197 KB)
DescriptionForest harvesting with animals is a labor-intensive operation. While mechanized logging is very efficient for large tracts of timber, it is often disruptive to the soil. Small logging operations using animals may be less environmentally disruptive. To better understand horse/mule logging performances for soil disturbance, five different horse/mule harvesting operations were investigated.About 75 percent of the soil was undisturbed and 22 percent of the remaining soil disturbance was judged to be slight.Only 3 percent of the soil examinations were classified as deeply disturbed and rutted - a condition considered to be prone to soil erosion. This study suggests that horse and mule logging has low soil disturbance in a partial cut of mixed pine/hardwood forests.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShrestha, Suraj P.; Lanford, Bobby L.; Rummer, Robert; Dubois, Mark 2008. Soil disturbances from horse/mule logging operations coupled with machines in the Southern United States. International Journal of Forest Engineering. 19(1): 17-23.
Keywordsanimal logging, horse/mule, soil disturbance
- Effects of feral horse herds on plant communities across a precipitation gradient
- Horse Ridge Research Natural Area: guidebook supplement 37.
- Predicting bunching costs for the Radio Horse 9 winch
XML: View XML