Skip to Main Content
Northern spotted owl effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan.Author(s): Joseph Lint; Barry Noon; Robert Anthony; Eric Forsman; Martin Raphael; Michael Collopy; Edward Starkey
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-440. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 43 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (256.0 KB)
DescriptionThis report describes options for effectiveness monitoring of long-term status and trends of the northern spotted owl to evaluate the success of the Northwest Forest Plan in arresting downward population trends, and in maintaining and restoring the habitat conditions necessary to support viable owl populations on Federal lands. It describes options to address monitoring questions, profiles population and habitat status, and points out areas of progress and concern. How population and habitat data from demographic studies would be integrated in the development of predictive models is described. A process to report status and trend results is presented that could provide a reference document for decisionmakers during periodic land use plan reviews.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLint, Joseph; Noon, Barry; Anthony, Robert; Forsman, Eric; Raphael, Martin; Collopy, Michael; Starkey, Edward. 1999. Northern spotted owl effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-440. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 43 p
KeywordsNorthwest Forest Plan, effectiveness monitoring, northern spotted owl, suitable habitat, demographic study, remote sensing, GIS, landscape, stand scale, predictive model
- Marbled murrelet effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan.
- Late-successional and old-growth forest effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan.
- Northwest Forest Plan—the first 20 years (1994-2013): status and trends of northern spotted owl habitats
XML: View XML