Skip to Main Content
Marbled murrelet effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan.Author(s): Sarah Madsen; Diane Evans; Thomas Hamer; Paul Henson; Sherri Miller; S. Kim Nelson; Daniel Roby; Martin Stapanian
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-439. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 51 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (306 KB)
DescriptionThis report describes options for effectiveness monitoring of long-term status and trends to evaluate the success of the Northwest Forest Plan in maintaining and restoring marbled murrelet nesting habitat and populations on Federal lands. A two-phase approach is described that begins with developing reliable and repeatable processes for identifying nesting habitat and overcoming logistical and statistical problems before habitat and population trends can be accurately assessed. The second phase involves application of these processes to mapping and quantifying nesting habitat, and establishing populations in the Forest Plan area. The potential use of predictive models to evaluate the relation between terrestrial habitat use and conditions and population densities and trends is described along with a process for data analysis and reporting.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMadsen, Sarah; Evans, Diane; Hamer, Thomas; Henson, Paul; Miller, Sherri; Nelson, S. Kim; Roby, Daniel; Stapanian, Martin. 1999. Marbled murrelet effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-439. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 51 p
KeywordsNorthwest Forest Plan, effectiveness monitoring, marbled murrelet, nesting habitat, marine surveys, remote sensing, GIS, landscape, stand-scale, habitat assessment, predictive model
- Northwest Forest Plan—the first 10 years (1994-2003): status and trends of populations and nesting habitat for the marbled murrelet.
- Regional population monitoring of the marbled murrelet: field and analytical methods.
- Conservation of the marbled murrelet under the northwest forest plan.
XML: View XML