Skip to Main Content
Sagebrush systematics and distributionAuthor(s): E. Durant McArthur
Source: In: Entwistle, P. G.; DeBolt, A. M.; Kaltenecker, J. H. Steenholf, K., comps. Proceedings: Sagebrush Steppe Ecosystem Symposium; 1999 June 23-25; Boise, ID. BLM/ID/PT-001001+1150. Boise, ID: U. S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Idaho State Office. p. 9-14.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (475 B)
DescriptionIn this paper on sagebrush systematics and distribution, it is appropriate to begin by defining a few terms. Sagebrush, under my definition, are woody North American Artemisia of the subgenus Tridentatae. Tridentatae are one of four subgenera in Artemisia. Tridentatae or true sagebrush are separated from other Artemisia of the subgenera Artemisia, Dracunculus, and Seriphidum (e.g., wormwood, wormseed, sage, tarragon, etc.) by their completely woody nature, exclusive North American distribution, distinctive chemistry and molecular genetics, and their fertile, homogamous, perfect disc flowers (McArthur 1979, McArthur and Sanderson 1999a). There are 11 sagebrush species that, together with their subspecific entities, account for about 20 taxa. Artemisia as a whole includes more than 200 species.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcArthur, E. Durant. 2000. Sagebrush systematics and distribution. In: Entwistle, P. G.; DeBolt, A. M.; Kaltenecker, J. H. Steenholf, K., comps. Proceedings: Sagebrush Steppe Ecosystem Symposium; 1999 June 23-25; Boise, ID. BLM/ID/PT-001001+1150. Boise, ID: U. S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management, Idaho State Office. p. 9-14.
KeywordsSagebrush, Artemisia, Tridentatae
- Taxonomic and nomenclatural rearrangements in Artemisia subgen. Tridentatae, including a redefinition of Sphaeromeria (Asteraceae, Anthemideae)
- Sagebrush identification, ecology, and palatability relative to sage-grouse
- Artemisia L.: sagebrush
XML: View XML