Skip to Main Content
Major clades of Agaricales: a multilocus phylogenetic overview.Author(s): P. Brandon Matheny; Judd M. Curtis; Valerie Hofstetter; M. Catherine Aime; Jean-Marc Moncalvo; Zai-Wei Ge; Zhu-Liang Yang; Joseph F. Ammirati; Timothy J. Baroni; Neale L. Bougher; Karen W. Lodge Hughes; Richard W. Kerrigan; Michelle T. Seidl; Aanen; Matthew Duur K. DeNitis; Graciela M. Daniele; Dennis E. Desjardin; Bradley R. Kropp; Lorelei L. Norvell; Andrew Parker; Else C. Vellinga; Rytas Vilgalys; David S. Hibbett
Source: Mycologia, 98(6),, pp. 982–995.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.5 B)
DescriptionAn overview of the phylogeny of the Agaricales is presented based on a multilocus analysis of a six-gene region supermatrix. Bayesian analyses of 5611 nucleotide characters of rpb1, rpb1-intron 2, rpb2 and 18S, 25S, and 5.8S ribosomal RNA genes recovered six major clades, which are recognized informally and labeled the Agaricoid, Tricholomatoid, Marasmioid, Pluteoid, Hygrophoroid and Plicaturopsidoid clades. Each clade is discussed in terms of key morphological and ecological traits. At least 11 origins of the ectomycorrhizal habit appear to have evolved in the Agaricales, with possibly as many as nine origins in the Agaricoid plus Tricholomatoid clade alone. A family-based phylogenetic classification is sketched for the Agaricales, in which 30 families,four unplaced tribes and two informally named clades are recognized.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMatheny, P. Brandon; Curtis,Judd M.; Hofstetter, Valerie; Aime, M. Catherine; Moncalvo, Jean-Marc; Ge, Zai-Wei; Yang, Zhu-Liang; Ammirati, Joseph F.; Baroni, Timothy J.; Bougher, Neale L.; Hughes, Karen W. Lodge, D. Jean; Kerrigan, Richard W.; Seidl, Michelle T.; Aanen; Duur K. DeNitis, Matthew; Daniele, Graciela M.; Desjardin, Dennis E.; Kropp, Bradley R.; Norvell, Lorelei L.; Parker, Andrew; Vellinga, Else C.; Vilgalys, Rytas; Hibbett, David S. 2006. Major clades of Agaricales: a multilocus phylogenetic overview. Mycologia, 98(6),, pp. 982–995.
KeywordsBasidiomycota, fungi, phylogeny, mycorrhiza, systematics, rpb1, rpb2
- Molecular phylogeny, morphology, pigment chemistry and ecology in Hygrophoraceae (Agaricales)
- Deconstructing the Tricholomataceae (Agaricales) and introduction of the new genera Albomagister, Corneriella, Pogonoloma and Pseudotricholoma
- Phylogeography of moose in western North America
XML: View XML