Skip to Main Content
A Machine Vision System for Automatically Grading Hardwood Lumber - (Industrial Metrology)Author(s): Richard W. Conners; Tai-Hoon Cho; Chong T. Ng; Thomas T. Drayer; Philip A. Araman; Robert L. Brisbon
Source: Industrial Metrology. 2: 317-342.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (837 KB)
DescriptionAny automatic system for grading hardwood lumber can conceptually be divided into two components. One of these is a machine vision system for locating and identifying grading defects. The other is an automatic grading program that accepts as input the output of the machine vision system and, based on these data, determines the grade of a board. The progress that has been made on developing the first component, the machine vision component, will be reported in this paper. The machine vision system being developed is made up of a subsystem for imaging rough lumber surfaces, a computer vision subsystem for analyzing the image data and identifying grading defects, a materials handling subsystem for moving boards through the imaging devices, a commputer for executing the algorithms comprising the computer vision subsystem and, finally, aanother small computer for controlling all the other components. This paper will describe the progress that has been made on developing all of these components. It will also indicate the directions for future research. A major goal of this research activity is to create a vision technology that will be applicable to not only the grading of hardwood lumber but a number of other forest products related applications as well.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationConners, Richard W.; Cho, Tai-Hoon; Ng, Chong T.; Drayer, Thomas T.; Araman, Philip A.; Brisbon, Robert L. 1992. A Machine Vision System for Automatically Grading Hardwood Lumber - (Industrial Metrology). Industrial Metrology. 2: 317-342.
- A Machine Vision System for Automatically Grading Hardwood Lumber - (Proceedings)
- Automated Grading of Rough Hardwood Lumber
- Lumber Grading With A Computer Vision System
XML: View XML