Skip to Main Content
IKONOS imagery for the Large Scale Biosphere–Atmosphere Experiment in Amazonia (LBA).Author(s): George Hurtt; Xiangming Xiao; Michael Keller; Michael Palace; Gregory P. Asner; Rob Braswell; Brondı Eduardo S. zio; Manoel Cardoso; Claudio J.R. Carvalho; Matthew G. Fearon; Liane Guild; Steve Hagen; Scott Hetrick; Berrien Moore III; Carlos Nobre; Jane M. Read; Sá Tatiana NO-VALUE; Annette Schloss; George Vourlitis; Albertus J. Wickel
Source: Remote Sensing of Environment 88 :111– 127
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.5 B)
DescriptionThe LBA-ECO program is one of several international research components under the Brazilian-led Large Scale Biosphere–Atmosphere Experiment in Amazonia (LBA). The field-oriented research activities of this study are organized along transects and include a set of primary field sites, where the major objective is to study land-use change and ecosystem dynamics, and a smaller set of 15 operational eddy flux tower sites, where the major objective is to quantify net exchange of CO2 with the atmosphere. To supplement these studies and help to address issues of fine-scale spatial heterogeneity and scaling, high-resolution satellite imagery (IKONOS, 1–4 m) have been acquired over some of these study sites. This paper begins with a description of the acquisition strategy and IKONOS holdings for LBA. This section is followed with a review of some of the most promising new applications of these data in LBA.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHurtt, George; Xiao, Xiangming; Keller, Michael; Palace, Michael; Asner, Gregory P.; Braswell, Rob; Brondızio, Eduardo S.; Cardoso, Manoel; Carvalho, Claudio J.R.; Fearon, Matthew G.; Guild, Liane; Hagen, Steve; Hetrick, Scott; Moore III, Berrien; Nobre, Carlos; Read, Jane M.; Sá, Tatiana; Schloss, Annette; Vourlitis, George; Wickel, Albertus J. 2003. IKONOS imagery for the Large Scale Biosphere–Atmosphere Experiment in Amazonia (LBA). Remote Sensing of Environment 88 :111– 127
KeywordsIKONOS, Remote sensing, Spatial heterogeneity, Land use, Land cover, LBA
- Studies of land-cover, land-use, and biophysical properties of vegetation in the Large Scale Biosphere Atmosphere experiment in Amazonia.
- ECOLOGICAL RESEARCH IN THE LARGE-SCALE BIOSPHERE–ATMOSPHERE EXPERIMENT IN AMAZONIA: EARLY RESULTS.
- High spatial resolution satellite observations for validation of MODIS land products: IKONOS observations acquired under the NASA scientific data purchase.
XML: View XML