Skip to Main Content
Carbon in Amazon forests: unexpected seasonal fluxes and disturbance-induced losses.Author(s): S. R. Saleska; S. D. Miller; D. M. Matross; M. L. Goulden; S. C. Wofsy; H. R. da Rocha; P. B. de Camargo; P. Crill; B. C. Daube; H. C. de Freitas; L. Hutyra; M. Keller; V. Kirchhoff; M. Menton; J. W. Munger; H. E. Pyle; A. H. Rice; H. Silva
Source: Science. ; 302:1554-1557.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (590 B)
DescriptionThe net ecosystem exchange of carbon dioxide was measured by eddy covariance methods for 3 years in two old-growth forest sites near Santarém, Brazil. Carbon was lost in the wet season and gained in the dry season, which was opposite to the seasonal cycles of both tree growth and model predictions. The 3-year average carbon loss was 1.3 (confidence interval: 0.0 to 2.0) megagrams of carbon per hectare per year. Biometric observations confirmed the net loss but imply that it is a transient effect of recent disturbance superimposed on long-term balance. Given that episodic disturbances are characteristic of oldgrowth forests, it is likely that carbon sequestration is lower than has been inferred from recent eddy covariance studies at undisturbed sites.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Citation\tSaleska, S. R.; Miller, S. D.; Matross, D. M.; Goulden, M. L.; Wofsy, S. C.; da Rocha, H. R.; de Camargo, P. B.; Crill, P.; Daube, B. C.; de Freitas, H. C.; Hutyra, L.; Keller, M.; Kirchhoff, V.; Menton, M.; Munger, J. W.; Pyle, H. E.; Rice, A. H., and Silva, H. 2003. Carbon in Amazon forests: unexpected seasonal fluxes and disturbance-induced losses. Science. ; 302:1554-1557.
- Carbon dioxide and water vapor exchange in a warm temperate grassland
- Interannual, seasonal, and retrospective analysis of the methane and carbon dioxide budgets of a temperate peatland
- Climate control of terrestrial carbon exchange across biomes and continents
XML: View XML