Skip to Main Content
A landscape inventory framework: scenic analyses of the Northern Great PlainsAuthor(s): Litton R. Burton Jr.; Robert J. Tetlow
Source: Res. Paper PSW-RP-135. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 83 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (13.0 MB)
DescriptionA set of four visual inventories are proposed. They are designed to document scenic resources for varied scales of application, from regional and general to local and specific. The Northern Great Plains is used as a case study. Scenic analysis and identification of criteria extend earlier work. The inventory is based on (1) study of previously developed landscape analysis methods and their terminology; (2) examination of high altitude imagery and topographic maps as sources of visual information; and (3) field observations in the Northern Great Plains. Criteria include visual characteristics and patterns of land forms, vegetation cover, water, and land use.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBurton Jr., Litton R.; Tetlow, Robert J. 1978. A landscape inventory framework: scenic analyses of the Northern Great Plains. Res. Paper PSW-RP-135. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 83 p
Keywordsscenic analysis, landscape inventories, Northern Great Plains
- Descriptive approaches to landscape analysis
- A method for improved visual landscape compatibility of mobile home park
- The bureau of land management and visual resource management—an overview
XML: View XML