Skip to Main Content
Use of LIDAR for forest inventory and forest management applicationAuthor(s): Birgit Peterson; Ralph Dubayah; Peter Hyde; Michelle Hofton; J. Bryan Blair; JoAnn Fites-Kaufman
Source: In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 193-202.
Publication Series: Other
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (1.23 MB)
DescriptionA significant impediment to forest managers has been the difficulty in obtaining large-area forest structure and fuel characteristics at useful resolutions and accuracies. This paper demonstrates how LIDAR data were used to predict canopy bulk density (CBD) and canopy base height (CBH) for an area in the Sierra National Forest. The LIDAR data were used to generate maps of canopy fuels for input into a fire behavior model (FARSITE). The results indicate that LIDAR metrics are significant predictors of both CBD (r? = 0.71) and CBH (r? = 0.59). In summary, LIDAR is no longer an experimental technique and has become accepted as a source of accurate and dependable data that are suitable for forest inventory and assessment.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPeterson, Birgit; Dubayah, Ralph; Hyde, Peter; Hofton, Michelle; Blair, J. Bryan; Fites-Kaufman, JoAnn 2007. Use of LIDAR for forest inventory and forest management application. In: McRoberts, Ronald E.; Reams, Gregory A.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; McWilliams, William H., eds. Proceedings of the seventh annual forest inventory and analysis symposium; October 3-6, 2005; Portland, ME. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-77. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service: 193-202.
- Influence of Crown Biomass Estimators and Distribution on Canopy Fuel Characteristics in Ponderosa Pine Stands of the Black Hills
- Effects of alternative treatments on canopy fuel characteristics in five conifer stands
- Three-dimensional canopy fuel loading predicted using upward and downward sensing LiDAR systems
XML: View XML