Skip to Main Content
Hydrologic impacts of converting grassland to managed forestland in UruguayAuthor(s): G.M. Chescheira; R.W. Skaggsa; D.M. Amatyab
Source: ASABE Publication Number 701P0208cd.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (111 KB)
DescriptionOver 500,000 hectares of grassland have been converted to managed forestland in Uruguay since 1990. This study was initiated to determine the hydrologic and water quality impacts of changing land use from grassland (pasture) to pine plantation in Uruguay. Two adjacent watersheds located on the El Cerro ranch in the Tacuarembo River basin were selected for a paired watershed study. Outflow rates and water table depths are continuously measured on each watershed. Rainfall and meteorological conditions are also measured continuously on the site. During the initial pretreatment period (July 01, 2000 through June 2003) both watersheds remained in pasture. One watershed (107 ha) was planted with loblolly pine Pinus teada L.) in July 2003, while the other (69 ha) remained in pasture. Data collected during the past 48 month period (July 01, 2003 through June 2007) represent the first four years of the treatment period. Significant changes in water yield were not observed during the first three years of the treatment period, but water yield reductions were observed during the fourth year. Most of the reductions were observed during a wet period that occurred after a prolonged dry period. Reductions in water yield occurred during storm flow events. Changes were not observed in the base flow from the watersheds. Peak flow rates from the forested land were only 25% of those observed before planting and the times to peaks were increased by 26 minutes. Data collection will continue through the growth cycle of the trees.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChescheira, G.M.; Skaggsa, R.W.; Amatyab, D.M. 2008. Hydrologic impacts of converting grassland to managed forestland in Uruguay. ASABE Publication Number 701P0208cd.
KeywordsAfforestation, Forest hydrology, Water yield, Paired watersheds, Loblolly pine
- Simulation of the hydrologic effects of afforestation in the tacuarembo river basin, Uruguay
- A comparison of the watershed hydrology of coastal forested wetlands and the mountainous uplands in the Southern US
- Effects of Orifice-Weir Outlet on Hydrology and Water Quality of a Drained Forested Watershed
XML: View XML