Skip to Main Content
National forestsAuthor(s): Linda A. Joyce; Geoffry M. Blate; Jeremy S. Littell; Steven G. McNulty; Constance I. Millar; Susanne C. Moser; Ronald P. Neilson; Kathy O'Halloran; David L. Peterson
Source: In: Julius, S.H.; West, J.M., eds. Preliminary review of adaptation options for climate-sensitive ecosystems and resources. Synthesis and Assessment Product 4.4. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Climate Change Science Program: p. 3-1 to 3-127
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.8 MB)
DescriptionThe National Forest System (NFS) is composed of 155 national forests (NFs) and 20 national grasslands (NGs), which encompass a wide range of ecosystems, harbor much of the nation’s biodiversity, and provide myriad goods and services. The mission of the U.S. Forest Service (USFS), which manages the NFS, has broadened from water and timber to sustaining ecosystem health, diversity, and productivity to meet the needs of present and future generations. The evolution of this mission reflects changing societal values (e.g., increasing emphasis on recreation, aesthetics, and biodiversity conservation), a century of new laws, increasing involvement of the public and other agencies in NF management, and improved ecological understanding. Climate change will amplify the already difficult task of managing the NFS for multiple goals. This chapter offers potential adaptation approaches and management options that the USFS might adopt to help achieve its NFs goals and objectives in the face of climate change.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJoyce, Linda A.; Blate, Geoffry M.; Littell, Jeremy S.; McNulty, Steven G.; Millar, Constance I.; Moser, Susanne C.; Neilson, Ronald P.; O''Halloran, Kathy; Peterson, David L. 2008. National forests. In: Julius, S.H.; West, J.M., eds. Preliminary review of adaptation options for climate-sensitive ecosystems and resources. Synthesis and Assessment Product 4.4. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Climate Change Science Program: p. 3-1 to 3-127
Keywordsnational forests, national grasslands, climate change, global warming, ecosystems, adaptation
- Environmental accounting of natural capital and ecosystem services for the US National Forest System
- Drought impacts on ecosystem functions of the U.S. National Forests and Grasslands: Part II assessment results and management implications
- Divergence of ecosystem services in U.S. National Forests and Grasslands under a changing climate
XML: View XML