Skip to Main Content
Desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii): Status-of-knowledge outline with referencesAuthor(s): Mark C. Grover; Lesley A. DeFalco
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-GTR-316. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Intermountain Research Station. 134 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Intermountain Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (675 B)
DescriptionProvides an overview of extant desert tortoise literature, summarizing literature on taxonomy, morphology, genetics, and paleontology and paleoecology of the desert tortoise, as well as its general ecology. Literature on desert tortoise ecology encompasses distribution and habitat, burrows and dens, reproduction, growth, physiology, feeding and nutrition, mortality factors, and behavior. Information on habitat deterioration, management of tortoises, their legal status and tortoise husbandry is also included. The manuscript is a complete overview of existing literature, including peer-reviewed literature and other literature. Information was compiled from materials available in 1991.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrover, Mark C.; DeFalco, Lesley A. 1995. Desert tortoise (Gopherus agassizii): Status-of-knowledge outline with references. Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-GTR-316. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Intermountain Research Station. 134 p.
Keywordsbibliographies, reference works, endangered species, taxonomy, morphology, genetics, ecology, paleontology
- Does protection of desert tortoise habitat generate other ecological benefits in the Mojave Desert?
- Biogeographic perspective of speciation among desert tortoises in the genus Gopherus: A preliminary evaluation
- Vegetation dynamics at a Mojave Desert restoration site, 1992 to 2007
XML: View XML