Skip to Main Content
Training guide for bird identification in Pacific Northwest Douglas-fir forests.Author(s): Andrew B. Carey; Valen E. Castellano; Christopher Chappell; Robert Kuntz; Richard W. Lundquist; Bruce G. Marcot; S. Kim Nelson; Paul Sulllivan; [Technical Compilers].
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-260. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 28 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (964 KB)
DescriptionBird calls and songs vary regionally, and some birds emit a variety of sounds. Existing guides are inadequate for training observers to do detailed surveys of bird communities, because more than 90 percent of birds detected are identified by the sounds they emit. This guide summarizes existing guides and adds the observations of the compilers and other technicians who participated in extensive surveys. Four-letter codes for species names, taken from the American Ornithologists' Union, are included. A checklist by region (southern Washington, Oregon Cascade Range, Oregon Coast Ranges, and northwestern California) of birds found in Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii(Mirb.) Franco) forests west of the crest of the Cascade Range completes the guide.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCarey, Andrew B.; Castellano, Valen E.; Chappell, Christopher; Kuntz, Robert; Lundquist, Richard W.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Nelson, S. Kim; Sulllivan, Paul; [Technical Compilers]. 1990. Training guide for bird identification in Pacific Northwest Douglas-fir forests. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-260. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 28 p
KeywordsBird calls, Pacific Northwest, Douglas-fir forests
- Sciurids in Pacific Northwest managed and old-growth forests.
- Dens of northern flying squirrels in the Pacific Northwest.
- Maturation and reproduction of northern flying squirrels in Pacific Northwest forests.
XML: View XML