Skip to Main Content
Suppression cost forecasts in advance of wildfire seasonsAuthor(s): Jeffrey P. Prestemon; Karen Abt; Krista Gebert
Source: Forest Science, Vol. 54(4): 381-396
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (318 KB)
DescriptionApproaches for forecasting wildfire suppression costs in advance of a wildfire season are demonstrated for two lead times: fall and spring of the current fiscal year (Oct. 1–Sept. 30). Model functional forms are derived from aggregate expressions of a least cost plus net value change model. Empirical estimates of these models are used to generate advance-of-season forecasts. Cost forecasts involve estimation of suppression cost equations by geographical region based on a time series of historical data (1977–2006) of costs, a time trend, and climate variables, forecasts of the next season’s suppression costs, by region and in total across all regions, and generation of suppression cost forecast probability distributions by region and in aggregate. The forecasts are also evaluated historically for their goodness of fit using cross-validation techniques. The two lead time forecast models are compared with the 10-year moving average of suppression costs, currently used as a budget request formula by the US Forest Service. Results show that the spring forecast of suppression costs is statistically no better than the fall forecast for predicting the coming season’s costs. However, both the spring and fall forecasts significantly outperform the 10-year moving average, reducing forecast errors by approximately 60%.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPrestemon, Jeffrey P.; Abt, Karen; Gebert, Krista. 2008. Suppression cost forecasts in advance of wildfire seasons. Forest Science, Vol. 54(4): 381-396
KeywordsUS Forest Service, budget, firefighting, seemingly unrelated regression, time series, suppression cost
Wildfire suppression cost forecasts from the US Forest Service
- Chapter 17: Forecasting wildfire suppression expenditures for the United States Forest Service
- Forecasting wildfire suppression expenditures for the United States Forest Service
XML: View XML