Skip to Main Content
Double sampling for stratification: a forest inventory application in the Interior WestAuthor(s): David C. Chojnacky
Source: Res. Pap. RMRS-RP-7. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (440 B)
DescriptionThis paper documents the use of double sampling for Forest Inventory and Analysis (Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture) inventories in the Interior West. Results show 18 equations describe the entire inventory summarization process for estimating population totals and means, and respective variances. Most equations are for standard use of double sampling, but equations are also given for a ratio method and a special method for data defined by county and land ownership. Inventory data from 800,000 ha of forest land in southern Idaho are used to illustrate application of several equations.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChojnacky, David C. 1998. Double sampling for stratification: a forest inventory application in the Interior West. Res. Pap. RMRS-RP-7. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
Keywordsinventory design, mapped design, ratio estimation, southern Idaho, two-phase sampling, variance approximation
- Mapping forest inventory and analysis data attributes within the framework of double sampling for stratification design
- Standard errors in forest area
- Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program, 2016
XML: View XML