Skip to Main Content
A discrete global grid of photointerpretationAuthor(s): Joseph M McCollum; Jamie K. Cochran; Anita K. Rose
Source: Res. Pap. SRS–44. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 7 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.83 MB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program of the Forest Service, U.S.Department of Agriculture, collects its data in three phases. The first phase is collection of photointerpretation data or dot counts, the second phase is field collection of FIA plot data, and the third phase is collection of Forest Health Monitoring data. This paper describes the development of the Phase 2 (P2) and Phase 3 (P3) grids and discusses the creation of a new grid for Phase 1 (P1), complete with an efficient indexing scheme, which is essentially equivalent to the historical dot count grids. The P2 grid consists of one field site per approximately 6,000 acres. To create the new P1 grid, we decomposed the P2 grid by a factor of 27 to obtain new proposed P1 photointerpretation cells of about 220 acres. The new grid can be used for initial photointerpretation points to determine area estimates for forested land.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcCollum, Joseph M; Cochran, Jamie K.; Rose, Anita K. 2008. A discrete global grid of photointerpretation. Res. Pap. SRS–44. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 7 p.
KeywordsFIA, forest health monitoring, global grinds, hexagon, phase 1, phase 2, phase 3, photointerpretation
- Phase 2 and phase 3 presentation grids
- Integrating P3 Data Into P2 Analyses: What is the Added Value
- Chapter 11: Assessing Wildlife Habitat from a Large-Scale Forest Inventory
XML: View XML