Skip to Main Content
Variations in diameter measurements of Robusta Eucalyptus due to swelling and shrinking of barkAuthor(s): Robert E. Burgan
Source: Research Note PSW-RN-244. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 4 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (509 KB)
DescriptionTrunk diameters of Eucalyptus robusta trees shrink and swell as bark moisture content changes. Diameter variations from this cause as measured on six trees with a dial-gage dendrometer were less than 1 percent of trunk diameter. To compare this variation with the variation in d.b.h. measurements that can result from personal techiques of using a standard diameter tape, seven foresters each independently measured the same 40 robusta trees on the same day. Variations in diameters at breast height from personal measurement techiques exceeded d.b.h. variation due to changing bark moisture content.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBurgan, Robert E. 1971. Variations in diameter measurements of Robusta Eucalyptus due to swelling and shrinking of bark. Research Note PSW-RN-244. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 4 p
KeywordsEucalyptus robusta, stem diameter measurements, bark moisture content, measuring errors
- Specific gravity variation in robusta eucalyptus grown in Hawaii
- Air-drying of Robusta eucalyptus lumber
- Moisture content of wood for interior use...Douglas-fir and robusta eucalyptus samples studied
XML: View XML