Skip to Main Content
A technique for sampling low shrub vegetation, by crown volume classesAuthor(s): Jay R. Bentley; Donald W. Seegrist; David A. Blakeman
Source: Res. Note PSW-RN-215. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 12 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.57 MB)
DescriptionThe effects of herbicides or other cultural treatments of low shrubs can be sampled by a new technique using crown volume as the key variable. Low shrubs were grouped in 12 crown volume classes with index values based on height times surface area of crown. The number of plants, by species, in each class is counted on quadrats. Many quadrats are needed for highly precise measurements. Shrub dry-weight was highly correlated with crown volume for each of the four species studied, but ratios of weight to volume were variable.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBentley, Jay R.; Seegrist, Donald W.; Blakeman, David A. 1970. A technique for sampling low shrub vegetation, by crown volume classes. Res. Note PSW-RN-215. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 12 p
Keywordsherbicide effects, sampling techniques, crown volume measurement, shrub cover
- Estimation procedures for understory biomass and fuel loads in sagebrush steppe invaded by woodlands
- Crown area equations for 13 species of trees and shrubs in northern California and southwestern Oregon
- Production of deerbrush and mountain whitethorn related to shrub volume and overstory crown closure
XML: View XML