Skip to Main Content
Forest inventory and analysis data for FVS modelersAuthor(s): Patrick D. Miles
Source: In: Havis, Robert N.; Crookston, Nicholas L., comps. 2008. Third Forest Vegetation Simulator Conference; 2007 February 13–15; Fort Collins, CO. Proceedings RMRS-P-54. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 125-129
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (460 B)
DescriptionThe USDA Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program has been in continuous operation for over 70 years. FIA’s primary objective is to determine the extent, condition, volume, growth, and depletion of timber on the Nation’s forest land. To accomplish this objective, FIA collects sample plot information on all ownerships across the United States.
The Forest Inventory and Analysis Database (FIADB) (Miles and others 2001), was developed to provide users with a nationally consistent format for FIA data. FIADB files can be obtained for any State inventory conducted after 1988 for the Eastern United States or 1994 for the Western United States. All data in FIADB format can be exported into FVS-ready files for use in the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS) program. The FIA program is working with a variety of cooperators to develop alternative pathways for delivering FIA data to FVS users.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiles, Patrick D. 2008. Forest inventory and analysis data for FVS modelers. In: Havis, Robert N.; Crookston, Nicholas L., comps. 2008. Third Forest Vegetation Simulator Conference; 2007 February 13–15; Fort Collins, CO. Proceedings RMRS-P-54. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 125-129
Keywordsforest management, forest planning, growth and yield, vegetation dynamics, habitat modeling, carbon inventory, prognosis model, landscape dynamics, fire, fuels, climate change, economics, forest health
- Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program, 2016
- Statistics and quality assurance for the Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis Program
- Methods and equations for estimating aboveground volume, biomass, and carbon for trees in the U.S. forest inventory, 2010
XML: View XML