Skip to Main Content
Development of FVSOntario: A Forest Vegetation Simulator Variant and application software for OntarioAuthor(s): Murray E. Woods; Donald C. E. Robinson
Source: In: Havis, Robert N.; Crookston, Nicholas L., comps. 2008. Third Forest Vegetation Simulator Conference; 2007 February 13–15; Fort Collins, CO. Proceedings RMRS-P-54. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 212-224
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.1 MB)
DescriptionThe Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources is leading a government-industry partnership to develop an Ontario variant of the Forest Vegetation Simulator (FVS). Based on the Lake States variant and the PrognosisBC user-interface, the FVSOntarioproject is motivated by a need to model the impacts of intensive forest management strategies and the multiple ecological and social objectives faced by today’s resource managers. Currently, the large tree diameter model and the small tree height model of the Lake States variant have been replaced with localized equations from data sets from the Great Lakes and Boreal forest zones of the province. A companion application, “Tree List Manager” has also been created to develop FVS tree-lists from the data collected through various field-cruising methods. Current efforts with the model involve the identification of equation weaknesses, improvement of user control on silvicultural treatments, and development of methods for populating stand species- and diameter-distributions for inventory polygons through enhanced forest inventory attribution using high resolution digital imagery combined with LiDAR and Individual Tree Crown classification approaches.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoods, Murray E.; Robinson, Donald C. E. 2008. Development of FVSOntario: A Forest Vegetation Simulator Variant and application software for Ontario. In: Havis, Robert N.; Crookston, Nicholas L., comps. 2008. Third Forest Vegetation Simulator Conference; 2007 February 13–15; Fort Collins, CO. Proceedings RMRS-P-54. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 212-224
Keywordsforest management, forest planning, growth and yield, vegetation dynamics, habitat modeling, carbon inventory, prognosis model, landscape dynamics, fire, fuels, climate change, economics, forest health
- Improving longleaf pine mortality predictions in the Southern Variant of the Forest Vegetation Simulator
- Proceeding of the 2017 Forest vegetation simulator (FVS) e-Conference
- Development of full regeneration establishment models for the forest vegetation simulator
XML: View XML