Skip to Main Content
Ponderosa pine seeding trials in west-side Sierra Nevada clearcuts: some early resultsAuthor(s): Robert L. Neal
Source: Res. Note PSW-RN-305. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 8 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (600 KB)
DescriptionIn direct-seeding trials on the Challenge Experimental Forest, Yuba County, California, 27 combinations of seeding rates, aspect, and site treatment were tested. The best results were obtained on northerly aspects on unburned mechanically disturbed seedbeds with a high proportion of exposed mineral soil when seed application rates were high. Sowing at least 1 pound of seed per acre (1.12 kg per ha) consistently resulted in 400 or more seedlings per acre (988 seedlings per ha). Baiting for rodent control and attempted seed covering by "dragging" did not improve results. If regeneration requirements will be met by 400 seedlings per acre, these procedures for operational testing are suggested: (1) prepare 100 percent of the site by piling and burning slash and residual vegetation; (2) use seed that has had the standard endrin-arasan-aluminum-dust pest repellent treatment, or equivalent;and (3) apply at least 1.5 pounds of seed (10,000 to 12,000 viable seed) per acre (1.7 kg, or 24,710 to 29,650 seed, per ha).
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNeal, Robert L., Jr. 1975. Ponderosa pine seeding trials in west-side Sierra Nevada clearcuts: some early results. Res. Note PSW-RN-305. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 8 p
KeywordsPinus ponderosa, California, broadcast seeding, site treatments, rodent control, fire effects, winter damage.
- Competing vegetation in ponderosa pine plantations: ecology and control
- Broadcast seeding ponderosa pine on the Challenge Experimental Forest . . . a progress report
- Development of a mixed shrub–ponderosa pine community in a natural and treated condition
XML: View XML