Skip to Main Content
Quality Characteristics of Appalachian Red Oak LumberAuthor(s): Janice K Wiedenbeck; Charles J. Gatchell; Elizabeth S. Walker
Source: Forest Products Journal. 45(3): 45-50.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (84 KB)
DescriptionRed oak lumber defect information derived from a well-constructed board data bank was analyzed. The potential utility of No. 1 Common and No. 2A Common lumber is indicated by the finding that 23 percent of the No. 1 Common boards and 35 percent of the No. 2A Common boards in the data bank contain clear-face cutting percentages that meet the minimum requirement for the next higher grade. The mean surface measure of the FAS, Selects, No. 1 Common, and No. 2A Common lumber was 9.1, 7.5, 6.3, and 6.2, respectively. The mean defect areas for each grade were: FAS - 1.2 percent, Selects - 2.3 percent, No. 1 Common - 6.8 percent, and No. 2A Common - 9.8 percent. Approximately 89 percent of the total defect area in these boards consisted of unsound defects. Wane, unsound knots, and bark pockets are the three major defects found in red oak lumber. Between grades, there are significant differences in the occurrence of these defects. Pith is relatively uncommon in Common-grade lumber, occurring in 9 percent of the No. 1 Common boards and 19 percent of the No. 2A Common boards. Twenty-five percent of the No. 1 Common and No. 2A Common boards contained crook of 1/2 inch or more.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWiedenbeck, Janice K; Gatchell, Charles J.; Walker, Elizabeth S. 1995. Quality Characteristics of Appalachian Red Oak Lumber. Forest Products Journal. 45(3): 45-50.
- 1992 Data Bank for Red Oak Lumber
- 1998 data bank for kiln-dried red oak lumber
- Data bank for short-length red oak lumber
XML: View XML