Skip to Main Content
A mixed-effects model for the dbh-height relationship of shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata Mill.)Author(s): Chakra B. Budhathoki; Thomas B. Lynch; James M. Guldin
Source: South J. Appl. For., Vol. 32(1): 5-11
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (855 KB)
DescriptionIndividual tree measurements were available from over 200 permanent plots established during 1985-1987 and later remeasured in naturally regenerated even-aged stands of shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata Mill.) in western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma. The objective of this study was to model shortleaf pine growth in natural stands for the region. As a major component of the shortleaf modeling effort, on individual tree-level dbh-total height model was developed in which plot-specific random parameters were filled using maximum-likelihood methods. The model predicts tree height on the basis of dbh and dominant stand height (which could be obtained from a site-index model). The mixed-effects model approach was found to predict the total height beller than the similar models developed previously for this species using ordinary least-squares methods. Moreover, such a model has the appeal of generalization of the results over a region from which the plots were sampled; and also of calibration of parameters for newly sampled stands with minimal measurements.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBudhathoki, Chakra B.; Lynch, Thomas B.; Guldin, James M. 2008. A mixed-effects model for the dbh-height relationship of shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata Mill.). South J. Appl. For., Vol. 32(1): 5-11
Keywordsmixed-effects, dbh, total height, dominant height
- Shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata Mill.) and hardwood regeneration after thinning natural shortleaf pine forests in southern United States
- An individual-tree dbh-total height model with random plot effects for shortleaf pine
- Ecology of shortleaf pine
XML: View XML