Skip to Main Content
Effects of nitrogen availability and cheatgrass competition on the establishment of Vavilov Siberian wheatgrassAuthor(s): Monica B. Mazzola; Kimberly G. Allcock; Jeanne C. Chambers; Robert R. Blank; Eugene W. Schupp; Paul S. Doescher; Robert S. Nowak
Source: Rangeland Ecology and Management. 61(5): 475-484.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (598.89 KB)
DescriptionCheatgrass (Bromus tectorum L.) is the most widespread invasive weed in sagebrush ecosystems of North America. Restoration of perennial vegetation is difficult and land managers have often used introduced bunchgrasses to restore degraded sagebrush communities. Our objective was to evaluate the potential of 'Vavilov' Siberian wheatgrass (Agropyron fragile [Roth] P. Candargy) to establish on cheatgrass-dominated sites. We examined Vavilov establishment in response to different levels of soil nitrogen availability by adding sucrose to the soil to promote nitrogen (N) immobilization and examined cheatgrass competition by seeding different levels of cheatgrass.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMazzola, Monica B.; Allcock, Kimberly G.; Chambers, Jeanne C.; Blank, Robert R.; Schupp, Eugene W.; Doescher, Paul S.; Nowak, Robert S. 2008. Effects of nitrogen availability and cheatgrass competition on the establishment of Vavilov Siberian wheatgrass. Rangeland Ecology and Management. 61(5): 475-484.
KeywordsBromus tectorum, invasion, nitrate, rangeland restoration, sagebrush steppe, sucrose addition
- Competitive effects of bluebunch wheatgrass, crested wheatgrass, and cheatgrass on antelope bitterbrush seedling emergence and survival
- Treating downy brome with herbicide and seeding with native shrubs
- Cheatgrass - native plant community interactions in an invaded southwestern forest
XML: View XML