Skip to Main Content
A tabular format of Pyle's ageing and sexing methods for landbirdsAuthor(s): W.H. Sakai; C.J. Ralph
Source: North American Bird Bander 27(3): 77-90
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (970 KB)
DescriptionWe present a new method of summarizing Peter Pyle's (1997) ageing and sexing guide into a tabular format that has proven to be extremely useful for both novice and experienced banders. This format allows quick and accurate assessment by a bander to distinguish species, age, and sex criteria. Rapid and accurate processing are essential to the health of birds captured and this effort assists in achieving this goal. We give examples of the "Tabular Pyle" for the Hermit Thrush and the Yellow Warbler, as well as a comparison of all Catharus thrushes.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSakai, W.H.; Ralph, C.J. 2002. A tabular format of Pyle''s ageing and sexing methods for landbirds. North American Bird Bander 27(3): 77-90
- Repeats, returns, and estimated flight ranges of neotropical migratory birds in Utah riparian habitat
- Riparian Bird Population Monitoring in Utah, 1992-2001
- Riparian Songbird Abundance a Decade after Cattle Removal on Hart Mountain and Sheldon National Wildlife Refuges
XML: View XML