Skip to Main Content
Intensive genetic assessment of the mating system and reproductive success in a semi-closed population of the mottled sculpin, Cottus bairdiAuthor(s): Anthony C. Fiumera; Brady A. Porter; Gary D. Grossman; John C. Avise
Source: Molecular Ecology (2002) 11, 2367-2377
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.6 MB)
DescriptionMost genetic surveys of parentage in nature sample only a small fraction of the breeding population. Here we apply micro satellite markers to deduce the genetic mating system and assess the reproductive success of females and males in an extensively collected, semiclosed stream population of the mottled sculpin fish, Cottus bairdi. In this species, males guard nest rocks where females deposit the eggs for fertilization. The potential exists for both males and females to mate with multiple partners and for males to provide parental care to genetically unrelated offspring. Four hundred and fifty-five adults and sub adults, as well as 1259 offspring from 23 nests, were genotyped at five polymorphic microsatellite loci.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFiumera, Anthony C.; Porter, Brady A.; Grossman, Gary D.; Avise, John C. 2002. Intensive genetic assessment of the mating system and reproductive success in a semi-closed population of the mottled sculpin, Cottus bairdi. Molecular Ecology (2002) 11, 2367-2377
- Size-dependent territoriality of mottled sculpin in a southern Appalachian stream.
- An individual-based simulation model for mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi) in a southern Appalachian stream
- Mechanosensory based orienting behaviors in fluvial and lacustrine populations of mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi)
XML: View XML