Skip to Main Content
Terrestrial litter inputs as determinants of food quality of organic matter in a forest streamAuthor(s): J.L. Meyer; C. Hax; J.B. Wallace; S.L. Eggert; J.R. Webster
Source: Verhandlungen der Internationalen Vereinigung fur Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie Volume 27 1346-1350
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionInputs of leaf litter and other organic matter from the catchment exceed autochthonous production and provide an important food resource in most streams (WEBSTER & MEYER 1997, ANDERSON & SEDELL 1979). An experimental long-term exclusion of terrestrial litter inputs to a forested headwater stream (WALLACE et al. 1997) provided an opportunity to determine if the food quality of organic matter would be altered by the elimination of inputs of fresh litter. Secondary production of benthic invertebrates in mixed substrate habitats (cobble, pebble, and silt-sand) declined after litter was excluded from this stream (WALLACE et al. 1997), but it is not clear whether the reduction in secondary production was a consequence of reduction in organic matter quantity, quality, or both. We have reported on a decline in quantity of some organic matter fractions after litter exclusion (WALLACE et al. 1997, MEYER et al. 1998); here we use chironomid growth assays to investigate whether quality of organic matter also changed.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMeyer, J.L.; Hax, C.; Wallace, J.B.; Eggert, S.L.; Webster, J.R. 2000. Terrestrial litter inputs as determinants of food quality of organic matter in a forest stream. Verhandlungen der Internationalen Vereinigung fur Theoretische und Angewandte Limnologie Volume 27 1346-1350
- Effects of litter exclusion and wood removal on phosphorus and nitrogen retention in a forest stream
- Stream invertebrate productivity linked to forest subsidies: 37 stream-years of reference and experimental data
- Effects of invertebrates in lotic ecosystem processes
XML: View XML