Skip to Main Content
Base-treated juniper fiber media for removing heavy metals in stormwater runoffAuthor(s): S.-H. Min; Thomas Eberhardt; Jang Min
Source: Polish Journal of Environmental Studies Vol. 16, No.5 2007, 731-738
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (4.0 MB)
DescriptionThe viability of base-treated juniper fiber (BTJF) media for removing toxic heavy metals (Cd2+, Cu2+, Pb2+, Zn2+) in stormwater runoff was investigated. The sorption ability ofthe BTJF for all metals was much higher than that of untreated juniper. The affinity sequence of both materials, BTJF and untreated juniper, was Pb > Cu > Zn ≥ Cd. This order is explained by the hydrolysis constants for each metal. A metal desorption and column regeneration test using 0.1 M nitric acid showed that the metal sorption capacity declined slightly from 136.3 to 119.2 µmole/g in the first two cycles and then more significantly at the third and fourth regeneration, 72.3 and 83.1 µmole/g, respectively. Based on the hydraulic conductivity test of BTJF of different size classes, it can be deduced that there is no major headloss-related disadvantage in using BTJF instead of sand as stormwater filter media if the particle size of the BTJF is similar to that for sand.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMin, S.-H.; Eberhardt, Thomas; Min, Jang. 2007. Base-treated juniper fiber media for removing heavy metals in stormwater runoff. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies Vol. 16, No.5 2007, 731-738
Keywordsfilter, heavy metal, hydraulic conductivity, juniper, stormwater
- Improvement of cadmium ion removal by base treatment of juniper fiber
- Mechanism of cadmium ion removal by base treated juniper fiber
- Removal of toxic heavy metal ions in runoffs by modified alfalfa and juniper
XML: View XML