Cell-wall structural changes in wheat straw pretreated for bioethanol productionAuthor(s): Jan B. Kristensen; G. Thygesen Lisbeth; Claus Felby; Henning Jorgensen; Thomas Elder
Source: Biotechnology for Biofuels 1:5. pp. 1-9
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (436 KB)
DescriptionPretreatment is an essential step in the enzymatic hydrolysis of biomass and subsequent production of bioethanol. Recent results indicate that only a mild pretreatment is necessary in an industrial, economically feasible system. The Integrated Biomass Utilisation System hydrothermal pretreatment process has previously been shown to be effective in preparing wheat straw for these processes without the application of additional chemicals. In the current work, the effect of the pretreatment on the straw cell-wall matrix and its components are characterised microscopically (atomic force microscopy and scanning electron microscopy) and spectroscopically (attenuated total reflectance Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy) in order to understand this increase in digestibility
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKristensen, Jan B.; Thygesen Lisbeth, G.; Felby, Claus; Jorgensen, Henning; Elder, Thomas. 2008. Cell-wall structural changes in wheat straw pretreated for bioethanol production. Biotechnology for Biofuels 1:5. pp. 1-9
- Behavioural responses of wheat stem sawflies to wheat volatiles
- Effects of Earthworm (Eisenia fetida) and Wheat (Triticum aestivum) Straw Additions on Selected Properties of Petroleum-Contaminated Soils
- Thermal transitions of the amorphous polymers in wheat straw
XML: View XML