Skip to Main Content
PCS: a pallet costing system for wood pallet manufacturers (version 1.0 for Windows®)Author(s): A. Jefferson, Jr. Palmer; Cynthia D. West; Bruce G. Hansen; Marshall S. White; Hal L. Mitchell
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-293. Newtown Square, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 15 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
View PDF (255.45 KB)
DescriptionThe Pallet Costing System (PCS) is a computer-based, Microsoft Windows® application that computes the total and per-unit cost of manufacturing an order of wood pallets. Information about the manufacturing facility, along with the pallet-order requirements provided by the customer, is used in determining production cost. The major cost factors addressed by PCS are raw materials, labor, machine, and manufacturing overhead. Combined with information on current market demands, this cost information can assist in establishing a selling price for a pallet. PCS also functions as a ?what-if? analysis tool, allowing pallet producers to evaluate the impact of changes in labor cost, species, processing steps, and other factors.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPalmer, A. Jefferson, Jr.; West, Cynthia D.; Hansen, Bruce G.; White, Marshall S.; Mitchell, Hal L. 2002. PCS: a pallet costing system for wood pallet manufacturers (version 1.0 for Windows®). Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-293. Newtown Square, PA: U. S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 15 p.
Keywordspallets, computer, software, costing, production, manufacturing, wood
- Using the pallet costing system to determine costs and stay competitive in the pallet industry
- Hardwood pallet cant quality and pallet part yields
Researchers propose single grade rule for evaluating hardwood pallet cants
XML: View XML