Skip to Main Content
Calibration of remotely sensed proportion or area estimates for misclassification errorAuthor(s): Raymond L. Czaplewski; Glenn P. Catts
Source: Remote Sensing of Environment. 39(1): 29-43
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionClassifications of remotely sensed data contain misclassification errors that bias areal estimates. Monte Carlo techniques were used to compare two statistical methods that correct or calibrate remotely sensed areal estimates for misclassification bias using reference data from an error matrix. The inverse calibration estimator was consistently superior to the classical estimator using a simple random sample of reference plots. The effects of sample size of reference plots, detail of the classification system, and classification accuracy on the precision of the inverse estimator are discussed. If reference plots are a simple random sample of the study area, then a total sample size of 500-1000 independent reference plots is recommended for calibration.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCzaplewski, Raymond L.; Catts, Glenn P. 1992. Calibration of remotely sensed proportion or area estimates for misclassification error. Remote Sensing of Environment. 39(1): 29-43.
Keywordsremote sensing, calibration, misclassification error
- Misclassification bias in areal estimates
- Monitoring landscape level processes using remote sensing of large plots
- Using satellite image-based maps and ground inventory data to estimate the area of the remaining Atlantic forest in the Brazilian state of Santa Catarina
XML: View XML