Skip to Main Content
Determining the range of acceptable forest road erosionAuthor(s): Johnny M. III Grace
Source: In: 2008 ASABE Annual International Meeting: Providence, Rhode Island. 11 p.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (71.5 KB)
DescriptionIn recent years there has been increased awareness and societal pressure concerning environmental impacts and aesthetics of forest operations such as road management. Forest roads continue to be attributed to account for the majority of erosion from forestlands. Previous research over the past 70 years has presented many questions concerning the impact of roads on forest systems. Research has presented some information on the effect of forest road erosion on forests and the benefit of BMPs in controlling erosion. However, one question that needs to be addressed in designing acceptable road systems is what is the range of acceptable forest road erosion losses? This paper presents a summary of forest road erosion losses and their effects on forest systems from various geographical regions considering road design, climatic factors and management regimes. This paper also provides information to aid in the understanding of the range of erosion losses that are or have been acceptable based on previous work.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrace, Johnny M. III. 2008. Determining the range of acceptable forest road erosion. In: 2008 ASABE Annual International Meeting: Providence, Rhode Island. 11 p.
Keywordssoil erosion, forest roads, review, water quality, sediment delivery
- Modeling erosion from forest roads with WEPP
- Surface Erosion Control Techniques on Newly Constructed Forest Roads
- From watersheds to the web: Online tools for modeling forest soil erosion
XML: View XML