Skip to Main Content
Chapter 1. Westslope cutthroat troutAuthor(s): John D. McIntyre; Bruce E. Rieman
Source: In: Young, Michael K., tech. ed. Conservation assessment for inland cutthroat trout. General Technical Report RM-256. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. p. 1-15
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station
PDF: Download Publication (4.5 MB)
DescriptionThe westslope cutthroat trout inhabits streams on both sides of the Continental Divide. On the east side of the divide, they are distributed mostly in Montana but also occur in some headwaters in Wyoming and southern Alberta (Behnke 1992). They are in the Missouri Basin downstream to about 60 km below Great Falls and in the headwaters of the Judith, Milk, and Marias rivers. On the west side of the Continental Divide the subspecies occurs in the upper Kootenai River; the Clark Fork drainage in Montana and Idaho downstream to the falls on the Fend Oreille River; the Spokane River above Spokane Falls; the Coeur d'Alene and St. Joe drainages; and the Clearwater and the Salmon river basins. Several disjunct populations of westslope cutthroat trout persist in the mid-Columbia River basin (Behnke 1992) in the Methow, Entiat, and Wenatchee river basins in Washington and in the John Day River in Oregon. Behnke (1992) considered all cutthroat trout native to the upper and middle Columbia, South Saskatchewan, and upper Missouri basins to be this subspecies.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcIntyre, John D.; Rieman, Bruce E. 1995. Chapter 1. Westslope cutthroat trout. In: Young, Michael K., tech. ed. Conservation assessment for inland cutthroat trout. General Technical Report RM-256. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. p. 1-15
Keywordscutthroat trout, Oncorhynchus clarki, fishing, nonnative species, mountain streams
- Chapter 5. Yellowstone cutthroat trout
- Development and evaluation of 200 novel SNP assays for population genetic studies of westslope cutthroat trout and genetic identification of related taxa
- The phylogeography of westslope cutthroat trout
XML: View XML