Skip to Main Content
Documentation and user guides for SPBLOB: a computer simulation model of the join population dynamics for loblolly pine and the southern pine beetleAuthor(s): John Bishir; James Roberds; Brian Strom; Xiaohai Wan
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-114. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 83 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.07 MB)
DescriptionSPLOB is a computer simulation model for the interaction between loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.), the economically most important forest crop in the United States, and the southern pine beetle (SPB: Dendroctonus frontalis Zimm.), the major insect pest for this species. The model simulates loblolly pine stands from time of planting until harvest. It mimics day-to-day changes in SPB populations, and the associated tree mortality caused by these bark beetles. In addition, it provides yearly updates of tree mortality due to competition and of growth for the surviving trees. Chiefly, the model and its simulation codes are designed to function as research tools for investigating the influence of stand properties on SPB activities, and of the reciprocal impact of beetles on tree mortality.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBishir, John; Roberds, James; Strom, Brian; Wan, Xiaohai. 2009. Documentation and user guides for SPBLOB: a computer simulation model of the join population dynamics for loblolly pine and the southern pine beetle. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-114. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 83 p.
KeywordsClonal plantation, Dendroctonus frontalis, merchantable volume, oleoresin flow, Pinus taeda, population dynamics, simulation model.
- Southern pine beetle in loblolly pine: simulating within stand interactions using the process model SPBLOBTHIN
- Simulation of dynamics of southern pine beetle hazard rating with respect to silvicultural treatment and stand development
- Simulating the effects of the southern pine beetle on regional dynamics 60 years into the future
XML: View XML