Skip to Main Content
Analyzing the feasibility of utilizing small diameter hardwood timber for solid wood products and residuesAuthor(s): Brian Perkins; Bob Smith; Philip Araman
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-111. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 6 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (3.17 MB)
DescriptionThe eastern hardwood forest contains small diameter timber that is often of lower quality and lower value than larger sawtimber. This small diameter hardwood timber has traditionally been utilized for pulpwood, but it can also be used for lumber and residue production. In order to increase the utilization of this resource by sawmills, a number of analyses need to be conducted. These analyses include a resource analysis, yield analysis, economic analysis, and finally a market analysis. This report gives detailed instructions for conducting each of these analyses. The successful completion of these analyses will help hardwood lumber companies determine if using small diameter hardwood timber is a good decision for their company.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPerkins, Brian; Smith, Bob; Araman, Philip. 2008. Analyzing the feasibility of utilizing small diameter hardwood timber for solid wood products and residues. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-111. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 6 p.
KeywordsFeasibility analysis, hardwood, lumber, small diameter timber, wood residues
- Options for small-diameter hardwood utilization: past and present
- Options for Small-Diameter Hardwood Utilization: Past and Present
- Improved utilization of small-diameter ponderosa pine in glulam timber
XML: View XML