Skip to Main Content
Tensile properties of wood flour/kenaf fiber polypropylene hybrid compositesAuthor(s): Jamal Mirbagheri; Mehdi Tajvidi; John C. Hermanson; Ismaeil Ghasemi
Source: Journal of applied polymer science. Vol. 105 (2007): Pages 3054-3059.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (503 KB)
DescriptionHybrid composites of wood flour/kenaf fiber and polypropylene were prepared at a fixed fiber to plastic ratio of 40 : 60 and variable ratios of the two reinforcements namely 40 : 0, 30 : 10, 20 : 20, 10 : 30, and 0 : 40 by weight. Polypropylene was used as the polymer matrix, and 40–80 mesh kenaf fiber and 60–100 mesh wood flour were used as the fiber and the particulate reinforcement, respectively. Mixing process was carried out in an internal mixer at 180°C at 60 rpm. ASTM D 638 Type 1 tensile specimens of the composites were produced b injection molding. Static tensile tests were performed to study the mechanical behavior of the hybrid composites. The hybrid effect on the elastic modulus of the composites was also investigated using the of hybrid mixtures and Halpin-Tsai equations. The relationship between experimental and predicted values was evaluated and accuracy estimation of the models was performed. The results indicated that while nonhybrid composites were closely related to the fiber to particle ratio of the reinforcements. Rule of hybrid mixtures equation was able to predict the elastic modulus of the composites better than Halpin-Tsai equation.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMirbagheri, Jamal; Tajvidi, Mehdi; Hermanson, John C.; Ghasemi, Ismaeil. 2007. Tensile properties of wood flour/kenaf fiber polypropylene hybrid composites. Journal of applied polymer science. Vol. 105 (2007): Pages 3054-3059.
KeywordsThermoplastic composites, mechanical properties, flexure, kenaf, composite materials, modulus of elasticity, elasticity, fiber-reinforced plastics, wood plastic composites, maleic anhydride, equations, injection molding of plastics, dicumyl peroxide, wood-plastic materials, tensile strength, hybrid composites, kenaf fiber, wood flour, polypropylene, rule of hybrid mixtures, Halpin-Tsai equation, elastic modulus
- Instrumented impact testing of kenaf fiber reinforced polypropylene composites: effects of temperature and composition
- Effects of wood fiber characteristics on mechanical properties of wood/polypropylene composites
- Coir fiber reinforced polypropylene composite panel for automotive interior applications
XML: View XML