Skip to Main Content
Stability of nuclear DNA content among divergent and isolated populations of Fraser firAuthor(s): L.D. Auckland; J.S. Johnston; H.J. Price; F.E. Bridgwater
Source: Canadian Journal of Botany. 79: 1375-1378
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (142 KB)
DescriptionFraser fir (Abies fraseri (Pursh) Poir.) is an endemic species consisting of six major disjunct populations in the Appalachian Mountains, U.S.A. Nuclear DNA content was measured with laser flow cytometry to determine if genome size differences could be detected among the disjunct populations of Fraser fir and its close relatives, balsam fir (Abies balsamea (L.) Mill.) and Canaan fir (A. balsamea var. phanerolepsis Fern.). The mean DNA content for Fraser fir was 17.2 pg/C, which was similar to the two related fir species. There were no significant differences among disjunct Fraser-fir populations. Mean DNA content differences for fir species in the Southern Appalachian Mountains were similar even with speciation events (7000 B.P.) and subsequent population isolation. In the absence of polyploidy or large chromosomal rearrangements, genome size changes in conifers occur on a broad evolutionary time scale.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAuckland, L.D.; Johnston, J.S.; Price, H.J.; Bridgwater, F.E. 2001. Stability of nuclear DNA content among divergent and isolated populations of Fraser fir. Canadian Journal of Botany. 79: 1375-1378
- Isolation and characterization of microsatellite markers in Fraser fir (Abies fraseri)
- Fraser fir stand structure in the Black Mountains of North Carolina
- Genetic variation and population structure in fraser fir (Abies fraseri): a microsatellite assessment of young trees
XML: View XML